Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Language issues

Do you know what really bugs me? That the "toolbar" at the top of my blogger page is in Korean.

I didn't write www.blogger.co.kr

I wrote www.blogger.COM!

Yes I am apparently the type of expat who lives in a foreign country for years without learning the language...but what would I have done with A while I was in class? And now that we're moving back home in a few months I feel like the window of opportunity is closing. I would have LOVED to have learned Korean, more than a few select polite-isms, but it hasn't worked out that way, unfortunately. And I will probably always regret it. I KNOW I'll always be ashamed of it.

But in my defense, at least I don't expect everyone here in Korea to speak English. A lot of my expat companions are downright irritated at the language barriers they encounter. I try to tell them gently that "Um, excuse me, but you've moved to Okpo; not London, or New York..." It's arrogant and wrong to expect everyone to speak English. (Imho.) The funniest/saddest part is that these are often the same people who get all huffy about foreigners coming to THEIR country and refusing to learn THEIR language.

Perspective is an elusive thing sometimes. Trying on someone else's shoes can be really good for you once in a while.

(Just be careful you don't get athlete's foot!)